Warm weather, long days, and beautiful blue skies – the signs that summer is here. While many people are thrilled about the arrival of the season, when you have sleep apnea, summer can lead to long, sleepless nights. However, you can beat that summer heat even when you use a CPAP machine to treat your sleep apnea. Here’s your quick survival guide:
- Darkness reigns: When the days are long, you may think it’s not yet time to go to sleep. By making your bedroom as dark as you can, you can increase the desire to sleep and keep cool your room too.
- Shower power: Try taking a shower before going to bed. Not only will you feel more comfortable for sleeping, you will also remove any pollen that can keep you up at night.
- Cool room: If you don’t have an air conditioner, you can still cool your room by placing shallow bowls or pans of cool water in front of a fan. This creates a refreshing cool mist.
- Less humidity: Humidity can really put a damper on a good night’s sleep. If you live in a locale that sees higher humidity levels, consider getting a dehumidifier. It does double duty – removes the humidity in the room and minimizes the buildup of mold spores.
- Clean time: Heat and humidity can lead to mold growth in the summer – even in your CPAP machine. Make sure you clean your machine on a regular basis and look for signs of growth.
- Same and steady: Do your best to keep to the same sleep schedule, both during the week and on weekends.
- Sunscreen: No one likes a sunburn, but just think how uncomfortable wearing a CPAP mask is while your face is tender! Use sunscreen, wear a wide brimmed hat, and stay in the shade to avoid this issue.
- Pollen-ation: Allergies and sleep apnea are not great pals. Check local pollen reports and avoid going out on those days where the counts are higher.
- Schedule an appointment: If you still need help getting a good night’s sleep, schedule a doctor’s appointment. They can prescribe allergy medication or suggest other ways that you can regain a healthy sleep.
Having sleep apnea can wreak havoc with your sleep. Using a CPAP machine and following the tips above can help ensure that your slumber remains steady and solid no matter the conditions outside.
PapSmart Summer Sale Is On – SHOP NOW!