When you go on vacation, what do you pack? Seasonal clothes, travel documents, extra cash, and your CPAP machine. Yes, that wasn’t a mistake. If you suffer from sleep apnea, then taking your CPAP machine with you on vacation is important. After all, don’t you want to be as alert and fresh on your vacation as you are when at home?
Travelling with your CPAP machine takes only a bit of simple planning. Here is what you need to know to make it pain-free go smoothly:
- Prescription: Not everyone has seen a CPAP machine. To avoid issues at security checkpoints, bring a copy of your prescription to indicate what the machine is and why you are bringing it with you.
- Air travel: If you are travelling by plane, contact your airline to see what their policies are regarding CPAP machines. You need to know if they allow them on flights. Ask for written approval from their medical services department and keep it with you at all times. If you have a longer or night flight, book your seat by a power source.
- Storage: Don’t pack your CPAP with your checked luggage. Not only could you need it during the flight, but it could get damaged or lost during transport. Always pack it in your carry-on.
- Power on: Do you know if your destination has the right plug-ins for your CPAP? Bring an extra cord plus an adapter to ensure that you can actually use your CPAP on the plane or at your lodging.
- Roughing it: Not every vacation is meant to have the creature comforts of home. If you are planning on camping or using an RV, you can choose to purchase a smaller, travel size CPAP machine. It works just as well and takes up less space.
- Pack extras: You may know where your CPAP vendor is in your town, but do you want to search for one while on vacation? To avoid this, pack extra supplies in case something fails or breaks. Be prepared so you can be prepared to relax!
Shop CPAP, CPAP Masks, and Accessories Now!