You may already know the importance of creating good sleeping habits overall, but did you know just how much of an impact your sleeping environment has?
Making your bedroom the perfect sleeping environment is essential for a good quality sleep each night, so that you can function well during the daytime. After all, you spend a third of your life sleeping, so skipping out on a quality sleep is not something you want to do!
Here are six tips for creating the perfect environment for sleeping
- Keep the room dark while you sleep: leave the lights off and use blackout curtains. Bonus tip: chose a color for your bedroom walls to help promote a calm environment and avoid anything too flashy.
- Keep the room temperature a little on the cooler side: having a cool room is best for sleeping, but make sure you are not so cold that you are shivering at night. Keeping your room too warm can be uncomfortable and you may find yourself tossing and turning.
- Leave electronics out of the bedroom: many people like to fall asleep with the TV on but this is not recommended, keep it in a separate room. You should also try and leave your phone and tablet charging in another room overnight.
- Be mindful of any noise: background noise can be distracting while you are trying to sleep. If you are a light sleeper and you wake easily, you may want to consider using a white noise machine.
- Use your bedroom (and especially your bed) for sleeping only: resist the temptation to use your bedroom as an office, lounge area, or social space and keep the clutter in your bedroom to a minimum. This way you can fully relax once it’s bedtime and you won’t feel anxious about other life factors.
- Make sure your bed is comfortable: invest in a good quality mattress and pillows (depending on which position you sleep in) and don’t overdo it with the covers.