Happy 2016! The New Year signifies a fresh start and a new beginning for many people. Some try to exercise more and eat better, others simply strive to be more open minded in their lives. If you use a CPAP machine, the New Year can also be a perfect time to step it up in terms of your parts replacement schedule, or improving your overall sleep habits.
As big as New Year’s Resolutions are for making improvements for people, prioritizing sleep is incredibly important to your overall health, especially for those who use a CPAP machine. Not only does this improve your experience using the machine, but getting a good night of sleep also affects how you function during the daytime. So the start of the New Year is the perfect time to take advantage of making positive changes to your overall sleep health.
Here are some tips for CPAP users to consider for the New Year:
- Has your bed time fluctuated over the holidays? This happens to a lot of people over the holidays with many late nights. It is best to go to bed at the same time each night, and wake up at the same time each day (or at least very close to it)
- Take some time to sit down and set your parts replacement schedule for the year. In order to keep your CPAP machine and its parts in perfect working condition, they will need to be replaced or upgraded on a regular basis. This is a good opportunity to take inventory of what you have, and what you may need in the coming future, so you can budget it in too (as it’s no secret that some important CPAP parts can break the bank).
- Avoid having heavy meals close to bedtime, and avoid drinking caffeinated beverages too late in the daytime.
- Avoid the use of electronic devices too close to bedtime (yes that includes the TV)
- If you aren’t doing so already, be sure to make a habit of cleaning your machine and its parts on a regular basis (at least once a week)
- Practice good diet and exercise. Even though many people may already have this as their New Years resolution, this can work wonders in helping you to sleep better at night