When the heat of summer finally subsides and the cool, crisp nights of autumn arrive, nothing seems sweeter than a cozy sleep. Unless you have sleep apnea. While the summer heat certainly presents problems for sleeping, the autumn has its own unique issues. Here are some tips to help you get the sleep you need:
- Open up: Your air conditioner may have had a workout during the summer, but with fall’s arrival, open up your windows. Fresh air will encourage sleep.
- Fall cleaning: Your air conditioner helped create a cooler environment, but may have encouraged the buildup of dust and other particles. Make sure you give your whole home, including your CPAP machine, a good cleaning.
- Get outside: There may be less daylight during the fall, but that’s no excuse to stay indoors. Being outside and getting exercise will help you fall asleep more easily.
- Cut back on caffeine: Although it gives you a delicious morning jolt, don’t consume more caffeine than usual. That will hinder your ability to get to sleep. Enjoy your coffee, but also opt for water, healthy juices, or herbal tea.
- Get your 5 to 9: Fruits and veggies, that is. This may seem like an odd tip for helping your sleep, but it pertains to your health. The healthier you are, the easier it is to fall asleep and stay asleep. You don’t have to worry about stomach aches, indigestion, or other issues that can make you feel sluggish and unable to sleep.
Newly diagnosed with OSA and need CPAP? Shop CPAP, CPAP Masks, and Accessories Now!