So you’ve been using your CPAP mask for a quite a while and you’re finding that it is starting to wear down. Believe it or not, it is very important to be aware of when to replace your CPAP mask. Just like any piece of clothing that you own, it can get worn out over time and using an old mask that is falling apart mask will only do more harm than good for your CPAP therapy.
Here are five things to look out for as to when it’s time to invest in a new CPAP mask:
- Are you waking up with sores on your face? If so, your mask is wearing down and you need to get a new one. A proper fitting mask should not be hurting you in any way; it should feel comfortable on your face.
- Are you finding small tears in the mask, the cushioning or even the tubing? Needless to say, it’s time for a new mask at this point. Facial oils tend to break down the material of the mask overtime, thus the need for a new one.
- If you feel just as tired as you did before you started your CPAP therapy, than likely the mask is not doing its job anymore. Be sure to check it carefully for any abnormal tears or worn-out parts as just one part of your CPAP mask wearing down can negatively affect your CPAP therapy.
- Have you been neglecting to keep your mask and its parts clean on a regular basis? This is very common for a lot of first-time CPAP users. The key to prolonging the life of your mask is to keep it clean on a regular basis, otherwise it can wear down faster and you will just have to replace your CPAP mask more often than necessary.
- Are you finding it more difficult to properly secure your mask on at night (compared to in the past?) If so, your mask has worn down and you need to replace it. Prolonged use can cause the mask parts to stretch out and wear down and it will not fit you as well as it used to.