It may have seemed like a long time coming but summertime is finally around the corner! And you may have a lot of summer travel plans on your mind.
As you prepare for your summer travels, one thing you’ll need to think about is how to deal with packing your CPAP machine when you go away, especially if you will be gone for a night or more. Keeping up with your CPAP therapy is very important, even when you are away from home and should not be neglected for even just one night.
Download the FREE Beginners Guide to Snoring and Obstructive Sleep Apnea.
As much of a nuisance that this may sound like, travelling with a CPAP machine IS possible! Sleep technology has come a long way in recent years and you shouldn’t have to miss out on travelling just because you use a CPAP machine, so there are ways that you can take it with you. It involves preparing in advance and using some extra caution when you travel. Here are a few tips for travelling with a CPAP machine:
- If you are flying: always carry on your CPAP machine instead of leaving it in your checked baggage. You run the risk of it being damaged in transit and we all know it’ll be an expensive replacement at that, so it’s not worth the risk.
- If you plan on using your machine during your flight, be sure to check with your airline ahead of time about any restrictions that may be in place. Also be sure that there is a sufficient power outlet nearby or that your machine has enough battery life to last for the duration of the flight
- Always carry your CPAP prescription and paperwork with you, just in case you are ever questioned by a security officer or flight attendant, or if you run into some heath issues away from home. Better safe than sorry!
- Be sure to bring any spare batteries or plug adaptors that you may need for your machine. If you are camping, or going to a place with no electrical outlets, be sure to bring extra battery packs that are fully charged
- If you travel frequently, think about investing in a smaller, travel friendly CPAP machine. The Z1 travel machine is small, quiet and efficient. You can find it on sale at papsmart.com now, but only for a limited time!
All in all, travelling with a CPAP machine just involves some careful preparation and a cautious eye on the road. Your doctor may also have some tips for travelling with your machine that may be helpful.