There’s nothing more relaxing in life than getting away for the weekend. Living with CPAP should not stop you from enjoying your holiday time. Travel can easily be accomplished and there are many ways to make the travel experience as stress-free as possible. Here are 5 tips for travelling with a CPAP machine:
- Pack your CPAP very carefully and be sure that it will not get damaged in transit. Most CPAP units come with a travel case, which will be handy for carrying your CPAP mask, and accessories. Remember to empty the water from your humidifier before you pack.
- If you’re flying, be prepared to take your CPAP machine in your carry-on baggage. And yes you will have to take it through security, but no need to worry too much as security personnel have seen these machines many times before. It also wouldn’t hurt to check with your airline to see if they have any restrictions or policies related to portable medical devices.
- Do not place the CPAP machine in your checked bags. There is too much of a risk that it will get damaged and chances are your airline will probably not reimburse you for the cost. Besides, if your bag is lost in transit, you will lose your CPAP machine altogether.
- If you plan on using your CPAP for sleeping on an overnight flight (or on a train, bus or car ride) have a plan for battery life for the length of the flight, plus three extra hours to accommodate for any delays that may occur.
- Think about investing in a smaller CPAP unit that is specifically made for travel. Especially if you like to go away a lot, or if you frequently travel for work. It is worth the money in the end, not to mention the convenience.