If you have been diagnosed with sleep apnea, your doctor may recommend that you get a sleep apnea machine. Commonly known as a Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) machine, this form of sleep therapy can reduce and even prevent the serious consequences that you could suffer as a result of your sleep apnea. What are the benefits of sleep apnea machines? Here are 5 of them:
- Reduced risk of heart disease: Because you stop breathing so many times during the night, your body undergoes changes in blood pressure, reducing your blood’s oxygen levels, which can severely strain your heart. Your sleep apnea machine keeps your airways open, allowing a continuous flow of oxygen, thereby reducing the extra work your heart must do.
- Reduced risk for a stroke: Using your CPAP machine also reduces your risk of stroke. A stroke occurs when a blood vessel is blocked or ruptures. Sleep apnea sufferers are 2 to 4 times more likely to experience a stroke.
- Decreased risk for diabetes: Did you know that using sleep apnea machines can also improve your sensitivity to insulin? Sleep apnea is related to insulin resistance, which is a factor in type 2 diabetes. Leaving it untreated increases your risk of getting this condition
- Increased concentration and alertness: Sleepiness and fatigue are two very common symptoms of sleep apnea. But by preventing the frequent wakeups, you will become better rested, resulting in increased overall alertness and concentration, beneficial for many daytime tasks such as driving.
- Decreased medical expenses: By improving your sleep, your overall health will improve. This can result in fewer appointments, fewer treatments, fewer medications, which can translate to fewer medical expenses as well.
If you think you could have sleep apnea, schedule an appointment with your doctor. Get on the path to a healthy and well-rested life once again.