When you have trouble sleeping every night and feel exhausted even after just waking up, a visit to your doctor should be in order. If you are diagnosed with sleep apnea, your treatment may include using a Continuous Positive Airway Pressure machine.
By wearing a small mask over your face and nose and with straps to secure it in place, your CPAP machine sends a flow of air into your airways. This gentle and continuous stream of air keeps your airways open to ensure that you can get a restful sleep without interruptions due to sleep apnea.
Getting a good night’s sleep is one thing. To make sure that every night’s sleep could be a great one, here are some ways to get the best results from your CPAP machine:
- Use your machine every time you sleep. At night, when you nap, or even when you travel, using your machine every time you snooze encourages not just healthy sleep, but increases your overall health too.
- Find your comfort zone: Understandably, sleeping while wearing a mask may not be that comfortable at first. But keep at it! It may not take as long as you think to get used to wearing the mask. If certain aspects to your CPAP machine are truly bothersome, ask a professional to help you adjust its fit, settings, or components.
- Clean machine: Like any machine, for your CPAP to run optimally, it needs to be cleaned on a regular basis. Hand wash parts, use distilled water when cleaning, and remove dust buildup.
- Daily life: To help your CPAP machine work well, it helps if you tweak aspects of your daily life. Getting more exercise, eating a well-balanced diet, and reducing both caffeine and alcohol intake will all complement your treatment and promote a healthy lifestyle.
- Dry time: Using a CPAP machine can have a few side effects, including a dry mouth and throat while you sleep. You can use special add-ons, such as a humidifier, specially designed for your CPAP machine to minimize or eliminate issues that can affect your sleep.
A good night’s sleep is a beautiful thing. Making sure that you get the right amount of continuous positive airway pressure can make this dream into a reality. And by applying the tips above, you can help ensure that golden slumbers are never far away.
Download the FREE Beginners Guide to Snoring and Obstructive Sleep Apnea.